Welcome to the website of the Department of Student Services at the College of Micronesia-FSM. As a window to learn about the department and its programs and services, our website is determined to provide:

- Basic information about College of Micronesia-FSM Department of Student Services and practical information and service that could be of help for our valued stakeholders (students, parents, and general public).

- Timely and detailed information about the specific programs and services.

We sincerely hope that our visitors find our website pleasant and informative. At the same time, you are most welcome to make comments and suggestions so that we can keep on improving our services on this website.

Thank you.

Ringlen P. Ringlen
VP Student Services

"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire

Reggie Leach

read and understand the course syllabus

get to know your instructor

don't skip class EVER

do all readings and assignments and turn them in

ask about and investigate student support services

don’t drop a course without first talking to your instructor and/or an advisor

set measurable academic and personal goals each semester

accept personal responsibility to succeed

et to know other students and participate in student activities

build a master calendar


Read and understand the course syllabus.   The course syllabus is the guide for what your instructor expects in the course - what assignments are due and when, the priorities for learning, and how grades are determined.

Get to know your instructor. Use before and after class time or the instructor "office hour" to discuss any difficulties you are having with your class.  At COM-FSM, your instructor will work with you  and help you to be successful.


Don't skip class EVER  (unless you are really sick or have an emergency).;  Woody Allen says that "80% of success in life is showing up". "Showing up" is the foundation for success in life and in college.  Your college years are part of your life.  For college students, we might restate Woody Allen’s quote to read "80% of being a successful college student is showing up.  The other 20% of success is hard work, persistence, striving for excellence and knowing which thing to click on your computer screen."

Do all readings and assignments on schedule and turn them in. Falling behind is self-perpetuating, and coming to class unprepared makes you able to understand the new material and ask questions.

Ask about and investigate student support services.  COM-FSM offers a number of services - tutoring, labs for reading, writing, math and computers, advising and counseling services, library, and career center - and all are available free of charge!  Use them often to assist with your work.

Don't drop a course without first talking to your instructor and/or an advisor. Although you may be experiencing difficulties in a course, there may be solutions to your problems that you might not see.  We want you to be successful, so talk to the COS staff members and get their help.

Set measurable academic and personal goals each semester. A key difference between students who succeed and those who don't is that students who succeed have clearly defined goals.

  As Abraham Lincoln once said, "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing."  Successful students tend to be realistic and recognize that their success or failure is primarily determined by their efforts.

Get to know other students and participate in student activities.  Forming study groups is one of the best ways to be successful.  Get to know others by attending events on campus.

Build a master calendar.  With all of your life activities scheduled (work, classes, study time, practice), you will be able to see in advance and plan for two tests on one day, for example.  You can be proactive rather than reactive in approaching you academic assignments







^back to top

Copyright@2008. All Rights Reserved.
Student Services-College of Micronesia-FSM
P. O. Box 159, Kolonia, Pohnpei, FSM 96941
(691) 320-2480

This page was modified last 01/04/2009
You may send your comments to the Web Development Team