Quickie Quiz 3
- What is the numerical value of the Dry "Air" (Adiabatic) Lapse Rate in degrees
Celsius per kilometer of rise in altitude?
- If an empty glass is chilled in the refridgerator and then taken out of the
refridgerator here on Pohnpei, will water appear on the cold glass?
- A parcel of air at 30°C rises 1 km above the ground, cooling at the Dry Air Lapse Rate.
What is the temperature of the parcel of air at 1 km above the ground?
- The same parcel as in question 4 saturates at that 1 km point above the ground,
producing a cloud, and continues to rise to a height of 3 km above the ground, cooling now
at the Saturated Air Lapse Rate. What is the final temperature of the air parcel at
3 km above the ground?
- Draw a sketch of the airflow patterns inside a cumulonimbus cloud. Be sure to
include the major airflows and the direction of travel of the cumulonimbus cloud.
SC 202 Weather and Climate home page
Lee Ling home
COM-FSM home page