MS 150 Statistics quiz three 4.4 linear regression • Name:
|Location||Time x (min)||Distance y (m)|
|Dolihner ||0.0 ||0000|
|Pohnpei campus ||9.0 ||1250|
|Mesenieng inbound ||26.6||4200|
|Pwunso botanic ||35.7||5300|
The table contains data from a run on Wednesday evening the sixth of February. While running, the runner juggled three tennis balls. This activity is called joggling.
- ______________ Does the relationship between distance and time appear to be linear, non-linear, or random?
- ______________ Determine the slope of the linear regression (best fit line) for the data.
- ______________ Determine the y-intercept of the linear regression for the data.
- ______________ Determine the correlation coefficient r.
- ______________ Is the correlation positive or negative?
- ______________ Is the correlation none, weak, moderate, strong, or perfect?
- ______________ Use the slope and intercept above to calculate the predicted distance covered by the runner after 25 minutes.
- ______________ A typical fun run on Pohnpei is 5000 meters. Use the slope and intercept to solve for the predicted time for the runner to run 5000 meters.
- ______________ Use the slope and intercept above to calculate the predicted distance covered by the runner after 250 minutes.
- ______________ Statistically speaking, can we safely predict the distance covered for 250 minutes of running and juggling?
- Why can we or why can we not safely predict the distance covered for 250 minutes of running and juggling?
Upcoming spring 2008 events, usually starting at 7:00 A.M. from Palm Terrace parking lot. Registration open at 6:30 A.M.
- PNI Rotary Club 5k Fun Run: March 01
- FSM National Fitness 5k Walk/Run: April 12 (maybe earlier)
- Women in Sport 5k: April 25
- COM-FSM 5k: May 03
- STAP 5k: May 24
|Linear Regression Functions|
|Statistic or Parameter||Math symbol||Stat symbol||OpenOffice|
|Coefficient of Determination