Heat and Sound Worksheet
- A 300 gram piece of metal loses 650 calories cooling from 100°C to 30°C. What is
the specific heat capacity of the metal?
- A person is yelling from a woman's dorm window. If the speed of sound is 348 m/s
and the distance from the dorm to the cafeteria is 87 meters, how long does it take the
sound to reach the cafeteria?
- A piece of equipment called a Phlogiston 9000 has a warning label on it that says,
"Caution! This Phlogiston produces 140 decibels." What safety
precaution should you take before you turn it on?
- Which tends to produce a lower frequency: a long tube or a short tube?
- A wave has a crest to crest distance of 10 meters. What is the wavelength?
- A water wave with a crest to crest distance of 10 meters has a time between crests of 8
seconds. What is the speed of the wave?
- A person shouts at a cliff and hears an echo from the cliff a half a second later.
If the speed of sound is 348 m/s, how far away is the cliff?
SC 130 Home page
Lee Ling home
COM-FSM home page