|College of Micronesia-FSM
Federated States of Micronesia
|Computing · Directory · Home · Jobs · Library · News|
|June- Palikir, Pohnpei|
M E M O R A N D U M
To: All Concerned
From: President, COM-FSM
Subject: Update from the President's Office - No. 252
The draft Report from the Four Member Accreditation Team that visited the COM-FSM campuses during April 11-15, 2005, was received at the President’s Office on May 23, 2005. The President, Accreditation Liaison Officer, the Director of Research and Planning Office, and Assistant to President reviewed the draft report and made some minor corrections on it. The corrected report was then e-mailed to Dr. Eva Conrad the Chairperson for the visiting team for finalization of their report. The Accreditation Visiting Team’s final report that will be submitted to the Accrediting Commission for review and action at their June 8-10, 2005, meeting was also received by the President’s Office on Friday, May 27, 2005.
The President will be appearing before the Accrediting Commission at their June meeting to update them on what the College has done since the last visit in regard to upgrading Chuuk Campus facilities that will support Instructional and Student Services Programs to meet the accreditation standards. The President has only five minutes to do his presentation.
Board of Regents:
The Board of Regents concluded their meeting on May 26, 2005, and approved the following directives:
COM-FSM FY 2006 Budget:
The Chairman of the Board, President, and key staff from the College appeared before the HESA Committee of the FSM Congress on May 20, 2005, at the FSM Congress Committees Hearing Room for the FY 2006 budget hearing. The Chairman, Honorable Resio Moses, welcomed the College delegation and announced that FSM Congress has approved the College’s budget for FY 2006 and there is no need to discuss it. However, they have some issues relating to Chuuk Campus that they need to clarify with the delegation from the College. The discussions on Chuuk Campus focused on the funding of the constructions that are currently taking place at Chuuk Campus and the amount of funds needed to do the upgrading of the facilities there. The College delegation responded by saying that the amount needed to complete the upgrading of facilities at the current site is in the vicinity of $500,000. The College delegation also reported to the Committee that the final recommendation on Chuuk Campus issue will be finalized at its Board meeting in Pohnpei during the week of May 24-26, 2005. The Chairman of HESA requested that an oversight hearing be scheduled with the Board of Regents after the Board finalizes the recommendation on Chuuk Campus issues. The Chairman of the HESA later cancelled the oversight hearing. The reason being that there is no need to tell the College what to do in regards to Chuuk Campus issue. The College’s Budget for FY 2006 is given below:
There is a reduction of about $56,000 and 22,000 for the operational budgets for the five campuses and FSM-FMI respectively.
The following is a summary of the revenue generated during the Spring Semester 2005:
Pohnpei State Campus has managed to collect about 97% of the total revenue for the Spring Semester 2005. The remaining 3% that is not collected yet are from students who have not been awarded Pell Grant during the Spring Semester. The 97% collection rate is a record at Pohnpei Campus, thanks to endless efforts of Mr. Patterson Shed and his persistence on working with students in completing their Pell Grant applications as well as their awards.
Staff Development Incentive Awards for the school year 2004 to 2005:
The Pohnpei Campus Bookstore has been relocated to a new location with the help of Martin Mingii and his assistant from the National Campus Bookstore. The Bookstore is going to be under the supervision of Mr. Mingii so the necessary equipment and supplies to be used at the store will be purchased and selected by the National Campus Bookstore.
Urgent Tasks as Results of the Warning Issued by Accreditation Commission to COM-FSM
The following matrix summarizes the tasks and things that the College of Micronesia-FSM needs to complete before the end of Spring Semester 2005 as part of the responses to the recommendations from the accrediting commission:
Things that Faculty, Staff, Students, and Managers must do before the end of October 1, 2006.
We have a maximum of about 9.5 months to address Chuuk Campus issue or the whole college will lose its accreditation.