MS 150 Statistics t3 • Name:
|Location||Sound speed (ms⁻¹)|
|B bldg diagonal||200|
|South faculty ||275|
|West library ||286|
|B bldg diagonal||287|
|Girl's dorm ||296|
|East wall gym ||312|
|West library ||326|
|East wall gym ||336|
|North wall gym ||353|
|North wall gym ||390|
The data is based on data from a physical science experiment that investigated the speed of sound.
- __________ Find the sample size n for the data.
- __________ Find the minimum.
- __________ Find the maximum.
- __________ Find the range.
- __________ Find the midrange.
- __________ Find the median.
- __________ Find the mode.
- __________ Find the sample mean x.
- __________ Find the sample standard deviation sx.
- __________ Find the sample coefficient of variation CV.
- __________ If this data is divided into five classes (bins, intervals), what is the width of a single class?
- Determine the frequency and calculate the relative frequency using five classes. Record your results in the table provided.
|Class upper limits||Frequency F||Relative Frequency|
- Sketch a frequency histogram of the data, labeling your horizontal axis and vertical axis as appropriate.
- ____________________ What is the shape of the histogram?
- __________ Theory predicts a speed of sound of 350 ms⁻¹. Calculate the z-score for a sound speed of 350 ms⁻¹ using the mean and standard deviation calculated above.
- ____________________ Is a z-score for 350 ms⁻¹ ordinary or unusual?
- ____________________ What is the point estimate for the population mean μ speed of sound?
- ____________________ Calculate the standard error SE of the mean.
- ____________________ Calculate the degrees of freedom n − 1.
- ____________________ Calculate t-critical tc for confidence levels of 95%.
- ____________________ Calculate the margin of error E for the mean.
- Calculate the 95% confidence interval for the population mean μ speed of sound.
p(__________ ≤ μ ≤ __________) = 0.95
- ____________________ Does the 95% confidence interval include 350 ms⁻¹?
- ____________________ Sound speed theory states that the speed of sound is 350 ms⁻¹. Is 350 ms⁻¹ a possible population mean μ for this sample at a confidence level of 95%?
- ____________________ Based on the data provided, would we disconfirm or fail to disconfirm a theory that stated the speed of sound is 350 ms⁻¹?