MS 150 Quiz Five Section 5.1 • Name:
The following is actual data from a United State military census done on Ulithi in 1946. The original data can be seen at: http://www.pacificweb.org/rop/Palau%201946-%20Age%20and%20Sex.pdf.
Age distribution in Ulithi 1946
(upper limit on age)
|Frequency f||Relative Frequency|
- Calculate the relative frequency for each age group. Note that the age groups are not of equal width - go ahead and fill in the table anyway. The original data was presented this way, so we have to work with it this way. Make a relative frequency histogram chart for this data, either here or the back.
- _______________ What is the number of people living on Ulithi in 1946?
- _______________ How old would a one year old in 1946 be now?
- _______________ What is the shape of the distribution?
- _______________ What is the probability a Ulithi islander islander is between five and nine years old in 1946?
- _______________ Use the x*P(x) column to calculate the mean age of a Ulithi islander in 1946.
- _______________ Compared to the mean age in 1994 calculated in class on Monday or the mean age you calculated for the homework on Wednesday, was the average age in Ulithi in 1946 higher or lower than the present national average age?
- Can you offer any explanation for the difference?