- MS 100 College Algebra test one summer
Section 1.1: Graphs of
- 1. Sketch a smooth graph of
- 2. Find the y-intercept for y = x² −
2x − 323
- y = __________
- 3. Find the x-intercepts for y = x²
− 2x − 323
- x = __________ , __________
- 4. For the equation x² + y² =
- a. What is the name of the shape of the
- b. r = __________What is the radius for
- c. What are the coordinates of the
- 5. Write the equation for a circle
centered on the origin with a radius of 12.5
- Section 1.2 Equations and
- 6. Is x(x + 30) + 221 = (x +13)(x + 17)
an identity or a conditional statement?
- 7. Solve for x:
- 8. Solve for x:
- 9. Given the surface area equation for a
cylinder seen below, find the height h of the cylinder:
- Section 1.3: Word
10. __________ A dress without tufts
(untufted) takes two hours for an experienced seamstress to sew. A
dress with tufts (tufted) takes three and half hours to sew. What is
the percentage increase in time for a tufted dress versus and
untufted dress? Treat the untufted dress as the original amount and
the tufted dress as the new amount in the percentage change formula.
- 11. __________ My wife sews untufted
dresses for ten dollars. If she wants to charge the same rate per
unit time for a tufted dress, how much should she charge? In other
words, what is the new price if the original price is ten dollars
and the percent increase is that determined in the previous problem?
- For the following word problems, pace is
defined as the time/distance.
- 12. __________ 06 June 2005 I covered
5.346 kilometers in 33.47 minute run from Piyuul to Fulkrin in Malem
on Kosrae. Calculate my pace in minutes per kilometer.
- 13. __________ At the pace calculated in
problem eight, how long would it take me to run the 12.62 kilometers
from Piyuul, Malem to Inkoyac, Tafunsak?
- Section 1.1: Graphs of
For the equation below, identify and list both the x-intercepts and
the y-intercept. IF the value is not an exact integer value, then
make a best estimate of the value.