SC/SS 115 Ethnobotany Calendar Spring 2002
||People and plants
||Algae field day
||Seedless Vascular Plant Hike
||SVP preparation: Expert groups meet
||Seedless Vascular Plant Presentations
||Gymnosperm field trip to Botanic Garden
||Review midterm/Food plant presentations
||Gymnosperm preparation: Expert groups meet
||Material plant presentations
||Material plant presentation writeups
||Vegetative morphology field work: Leaf Quest
||Psychoactive plants lecture
||Vegetative morphology presentation preparation
||Psychoactive plant presentations
||Biodiversity, conservation, management
||The ethnobotanical garden
||Final: Monday 2:15
- Required Textbooks:
- Plants, people, and culture: The Science of Ethnobotany. Balick, Michael J.
Freeman ($19.95) Barnes&Noble
($19.95) Amazon ($13.96)
- A Photographic Atlas for the Botany Laboratory.
Morton ($24.95) Barnes&Noble
($20.95) Amazon ($24.95)
- Quizzes are given every Friday that there is not a test. Quizzes may be moved to
Wednesday when Friday is a holiday. Items in grey are optional and are covered on a time
- Office hours: Room F105 2:00 P.M. to 4 P.M. MWF or walk-in any time.
Instructor: Dana Lee Ling. Extension 4300. Home: 320-2962.
- Seven absences results in withdrawal from the course. A late is one third of an absence.
Thus any combination of absences and lates that adds to seven will result in withdrawal.
For example, twenty-one lates would result in withdrawal.
- No betelnut in class nor on campus except in the cultural huts.
No spitting over the balcony!
No food, drink, gum, or shoes in the laboratory!
- Grading policy:
Homework is worth 1 to 3 points.
Quizzes are worth on the order of 5 to 10 points each.
Tests are worth on the order of 20 points.
The midterm is worth roughly 40 points.
The final is worth up to roughly 60 points.
The term as a whole will generate some 200 plus points.
Grading is based on the standard College policy: Obtain 90% of the points or more to
obtain an A, 80% to 89% for a B, and so forth.
Instructor email address: email@example.com
Course home page
Lee Ling home
COM-FSM home page