SC/SS 115 Ethnobotany Test One • Name:
1. Sketch Lycopodiella cernua
(lycopodium: mah in twefuroh, suhke krismas, kidienmal, kidim en mal, unen katu, gashishil gaatu, pechalgaatuw, gama')
and correctly label the strobili and microphylls.
2. Sketch Microsorum scolopendria,
(embossed, wart, or monarch fern: sra kwemkwem, kamkam, kideu, chiichi, rhiirhi, shishi, gob)
identify the frond shape, and correctly label the sori and rhizome.
28 August. For each of the plants in the laboratory write down the name, if any, of that plant in your language. Include also a use of that plant from any where in Micronesia.
Local Name ‖ Usage anywhere in Micronesia
Latin name Local name Local use
3. Asplenium nidus ____________________ ____________________________________
4. Cyclosorus maemonensis. ________________ ____________________________________
5. Nephrolepis spp ____________________ ____________________________________
6. Citrus aurantifolia ____________________ ____________________________________
7. Clerodendrum inerme ____________________ ____________________________________
8. Jasminum sambac ____________________ ____________________________________
9. Ocimum tenuiflorum ____________________ ____________________________________
10. Senna alata ____________________ ____________________________________
- 04 September. What is the function of the heterocyst cell in cyanobacteria?
- What is the name of the uncurling portion of a baby fern frond?
- Sketch out in brief the life cycle of a fern.
- 23 August, 06 September. On the lycopodium, fern hike and again on the Pohnpei campus traditional plants of Pohnpei field trip, some of you saw plants that have names in your language, names that you did not know. What is the process of cultural knowledge loss called in the field of ethnography?
- 13 September. Plants contains compounds that are necessary to the survival of the plant. These compounds are often also medicinally active for humans. What are the functions of these compounds for plants?
- 20 September. Melanie Mendiola presented on the use of the fruit of Scaevola taccada, a use that is common to Yap, Pohnpei, Mwokilloa, Pingelap, and Kosrae. What illness is treated with the white fruit and how is it treated?
- 20 September. Rose Ann Pama spoke about winien pwuriamwei for the culture bound syndrome startle in babies. What is a culture bound syndrome?
- On Tuesday 25 September the class was begun with a caution. What condition was a reason for a student to consider not participating?
- On Tuesday 25 September the weather changed during class. How did the weather change?
- What is Ohigan?
- Asplenium nidus
- Cyclosorus maemonensis
- Nephrolepis spp
- Citrus aurantifolia
- Clerodendrum inerme
- Jasminum sambac
- Ocimum tenuiflorum
- Senna alata