Policy on Memorial Trees
To permit individuals or organizations to request that a memorial tree, or "memory tree," commemorating a person with a significant connection the the college.
The purpose of this policy is provide procedures for commemorating a person with a significant connection to the college by designating a tree on campus in their memory. This policy has been developed to make sure that this can be accomplished and that standard procedures are followed by all requesting individuals or organizations.
This policy may also be referred to for guidance on memorial benches and monuments that may be placed on campus to recognise events of significance to the campus community.
This policy would apply to all sites of the college.
- Requests for memorial or "memory" trees should be made through the respective site director or, at the national site, the vice-president for administration. The director or vice-president will consult with the appropriate campus environment oversight committee when considering memorials for any individual with a significant connection to the college, including students, alumni, current and retired staff and faculty. At the national site the facilities and campus environment committee will be consulted. As other sites the appropriate campus environment oversight committee will be consulted.
- The following conditions apply to the acceptance of a gift to plant a tree.
- If the tree is a new addition, then the donor will provide the tree and the plaque. If the tree is an existing tree, then the donor provides only the plaque. The donor can be the college.
- The committee with oversight over campus environment in consultation with appropriate other staff at the college will help the donor select an appropriate species and an appropriate location for the tree.
- The committee with oversight over campus environment must approve the material, size and text of the plaque. Where possible, a standardized plaque will be used.
- The donor will be responsible for costs associated with installation of the plaque and, if required, the survey of the location of the memorial tree.
- The director of maintenance and grounds, or their designee, will survey the location of the tree and record it in a memorial tree register held with the vice-president for administration. A copy of the memorial tree register for all sites will be maintained on the college website. The memorial trees register records the tree variety, location planted, date planted and the person memorialized.
- If a tree planted under the terms of this policy is subsequently removed due to construction of any type, the tree or a replacement tree, and plaque will be relocated as a normal cost of grounds maintenance.
- Whilst all care is taken, the college cannot guarantee the perpetuation of the tree. If the tree dies or requires relocation, grounds maintenance will manage the replacement of the tree and the associated relocation of the plaque. The details of the date of the replacement, the species of tree, and its location will be recorded in the memorial tree register. The donor need only be advised of the new location and replacement action if changed, when appropriate.
As delineated in the procedure above, primary decision making responsibility is retained by the vice president for administration at the national site and by the site directors at the other sites. Responsibility for relocating a tree or plaque is retained to the grounds and maintenance personnel.
Section retained for future use.