SC/SS 115 Ethnobotany Review of Learning
During a traditional sakau ceremony in Pohnpei...
- Was the sakau used the rahmedel or rahmwanger variety?
- Match the following:
|_____ 1. Rahmedel||A. Darker stems, spots on stem, not smooth, short internodes|
|_____ 2. Rahmwanger||B. smooth stems, light color, long internodes|
- The first cups contain more of a compound that is pschoactive and numbs the lips, what is that compound?
- Dihydrokavain (DHK)
- Dihydromethysticin (DHM)
- In descending order of concentration, rahmwanger contains: DHK, Kavain, DHM, Methysticin, Demethoxy-yangonin, yangonin. Which of these compounds make one sleepy?
- Can you "hang" your legs over the edge of the nahs during a formal sakau ceremony?
- Who sits down by the sakau stone?
- What is the peitehl?
- Are sakau stones to be used as places to sit or general purpose tables?
- Who sits up on the platforms?
- What shape are the platforms? Always?
- The sakau is prepared by
- Boiling the root stock
- Chewing the root stock
- Pounding the root stock
- Uhming the root stock
- Are women allowed to pound sakau?
- Are women allowed to squeeze (wungwung) sakau?
- Once the sakau is pounded (mut), the preparers play a "tune" on the sakau stone in order to:
- Call the guests to the ceremony
- Call the king (nahnmwarki)
- Call the sakau wrap to the stone
- No reason, just a happy thing to do
- The squeezing is done using
- coconut fibers
- the inner bark of the hibiscus tree (hibiscus tiliaceus)
- the outer bark of the hibiscus tree(hibiscus tiliaceus)
- Sakau is used in which of the following ceremonies?
- Asking a father for his daughter
- Christening party
- Festival (komadipw)
- Presentation of first fruits to the king (nahnmwarki)
- First year birthday party for a baby
- At what point can the reason for the gathering be announced?
- In Sokehs, how many cups must be served before anyone can speak?
- Who gets the first cup?
- Who gets the second cup?
- Who gets the third cup in Sokeh's?
- To whom did the third cup go in our ceremony and, more importantly, why?
- Who gets the fourth cup?
- Do all of the municipalities use the same number of special "cups"?
- After the "special" cups...
- Everyone goes home
- Everyone goes to eat
- Everyone goes to sleep
- The purpose of the ceremony is announced
- After the special cups, does the cup come to you or do you go to the cup to drink?
- On Pohnpei, Piper methysticum is a...
- food plant
- house plant
- mystical plant
- power plant
- sacred plant
- weed plant
Nahnmwarki: King or paramount chief
Nahnken: Second highest title, highest title in Nahnken line
Nahnalik: Wife of Nahnmwarki in Sokehs, Kitti, Uh
Likun: Wife of Nahnmwarki in Madolehnihmw, U
Wasai: Second title in Nahnmarki line
- What was your reaction to the sakau ceremony?
- Should ethnobotany classes in future terms attend a sakau ceremony?