Botany 2000 Test One
- In a single sentence, what is ethnobotany?
- Which type of botanist classifies plants?
- A botanist named Linnaeus wrote a "flora". In botany class, what is a
- Dr. Balick spoke of a disease called Susta. He explained that susta is an example
of a particular class of diseases. Susta belongs to what class of diseases?
- Give the name of a disease in your own culture that is in the same class as susta.
- For what disease is quinine used?
- What key parts of a plant should be collected for a herbarium specimen?
- Give one problem associated with invasive plants.
- Why is false sakau, Piper auritum, considered a threat to Pohnpei?
- Five students spoke of the usefulness of topwuk (Premna serratifolia, formerly Premna
obtusifolia). Give one example of a use of topwuk in the Pacific Islands.
Note that this plant is also used in Tonga where it is known as volovalo, and in
Samoa where it is known as aloalo.
- What distinguishes Prokaryotes from Eukaryotes?
- What shape is a cocci bacteria?
- Cyanobacteria "threads" contain heterocysts. What is the function of the
heterocyst in cyanobacteria?
- What special type of cell can bacteria form to enable it to survive long periods of time
exposed to harsh sunlight, high heat levels, or chemical attack?
- A population at risk of contracting the diplococcus bacteria Neiseria gonorrhoeae
is also at risk for what other modern and far more deadly disease?
- What is a pilus and what does a bacteria do with its pilus?
- About how many years ago did bacteria arise on this planet?
- What is a thermoacidophile bacteria resistant to?
- Name two ways that a bacteria can reproduce.
- Which is your favorite bacteria?
Botany home page
Lee Ling home
COM-FSM home page