Location collected: Awak village
Collected by: Suprina Ladore
- Genus species: Episcia cupreata
- Family: Gesneriaceae
- English name: Flame violet
- Chuukese name: ?
- Kosrean name: ?
- Pohnpeian name: Plankes
- Yapese name: ?
- Growth form: Herb
- Growth location: Terrestrial & sometimes aquatic
- Growth environment: On rocks near water
- Growth zone: Tropical
- Average height: 6 in. (15 cm) (info. gotton from book)
- Stem: No stem
- Leaf arrangement: It is sort of a whorled arrangement
- Stipule: None
- Petioles: 2.8 cm to 5.5 cm, hairy surface
- Leaf blade: Ovate leaves with crenate margin and obtuse tip, pinnate
venation, 7 cm to 17 cm long, hairy surface and underside, purple color on the underside
and dark brown/green at the surface, dark almost black leaves.
- Inflorescence: Salverform shape, and solitary type
- Floral bracts: None
- Flower: Dioecious, the filament and anthers surround the stigma and style
- Calyx: Five sepals with brownish complexion, hairy.
- Corolla: Five petals, rotate shape, smooth sufrace with no hair, red color
- Stamens: Four filament and anthers, slightly fused, filament about 3.6 cm
and anther is rounded
- Ovary: Inferior
- Style: One style about 2.6 cm with white color, not branched with a yellow,
- Fruit: None
- Seed: Not observed
- Anything else: No strong odor, likes to grow near wet places, especially on
- Cultural usage: None that I know of
Botany home page
Lee Ling home
COM-FSM home page