t06 ⊾ ⊿ Name:

1. ___________________ Simplify 2 sin(θ) cos(θ) Write only the first result.
  2. ___________________ Simplify (1 − cos²θ)(1 − cot²θ) Write only the first result.
  3. _________ The equation for a projectile is given by: distance = 2 v 2 sin(θ) cos(θ) 9.8
    For a velocity v of 14 m/s, and an angle of 30°, calculate the distance d.
  4. _________ Solve for the velocity v: 2 v 2 sin(30) cos(30) 9.8 = 80 with the angles given in degrees.
  5. _________ Solve for the angle x: 19.6 sin(x) cos(x) = 9.8
    Report the angle x in radians for the solution between 0 and π/2.
  6. (_______, _______) For my physical science test I needed to move an electron at position a to position b. Note that in this example (0, 0) is at the center of the circle. Position a is (170,0). See the diagram on the below left. What are the coordinates of electron b?
    SVG trigonometry problems SVG trigonometry problems Atomic center translation θ: 30° (0, 0) r = 170 Orbitals a (170, 0) b Atomic center translation (80,80) (−86.61, 50) (−40, −30) (95, 0)
  7. ____________ Calculate the magnitude (vector length) for the vector {80, 80}. Note that in the diagram on the above right all vectors are in the standard position with their initial point at the origin (0, 0).
  8. ____________ Calculate the angle relative to the horizontal axis for the vector {80, 80}.
  9. ____________ Calculate the magnitude for the vector {−86.61, 50}.
  10. ____________ Calculate the angle relative to the horizontal axis for the vector {−86.61, 50}.
  11. ____________ Calculate the magnitude for the vector {−40, −30}.
  12. ____________ Calculate the angle relative to the horizontal axis for the vector {−40, −30}.
  13. ____________ Calculate the magnitude for the vector {95, 0}.
  14. ____________ Calculate the angle relative to the horizontal axis for the vector {95, 0}.

15. On a Thursday evening in July 2005 I was body board surfing in Malem. My total velocity v (speed) was the result of the vector addition of the velocity (speed) of the wave w and the velocity s of my board along the face of the wave. On that Thursday the waves were moving at a speed of:
    w=3.9 m/s due East towards Malem and my board was moving at
    s=5.2 m/s due North towards Lelu.
    Note that w and s are at right angles as shown in the inset diagram.
  16. Calculate my velocity v over the reef: __________
  17. _________ Calculate the angle between v and w.

children surfing along Malem shoreline 04 January 2008
Children body boarding in the surf off of Piyuul, Malem.